50 things to do (before I am 50)
Below are the things, that if done before I am 50, should make for an eventful, satisfying, entertaining, and productive few years…. It should be noted that they have had no wider audience than myself, and so may be subject to some refinement/ sanity checking once public! I am confident my husband will disapprove of most, though if I can achieve #9 Pay off the mortgage, that will go a long way to securing buy in.
Several are still up for grabs, so do send in any suggestions! Though I reserve the right to refuse…
1. Do an ironman (punchy start!)
2. Be less angry (equally unachievable)
3. Conquer the sugar addiction and implement healthy eating habits for the whole family
4. Get a whole family caricature done in Montmartre
5. Go to Oktoberfest in Munich with a bunch of chums
6. Do something individually with each of the children, every year
7. Perform a stand up comedy routine, to an actual audience
8. Create work that is both lucrative and wildly fulfilling
9. Pay off the mortgage. Yes, all of it.
10. Run some workshops and retreats of the life-changing/personal development genre
11. Find a way to navigate the conundrum of work/family/me time without being perpetually pissed off
12. Learn to play the piano
13. Create family life that is loving, supportive, nourishing and enjoyable
14. Learn to speak Chinese
15. Go bike touring with the children
16. Give a home to animals or people that have had a shit life
17. Keep channels of communication open with the children, as they grow up
18. Do an MSc in creative writing for therapeutic purposes/ counselling type qualification
19. Buy a farm, or field, or wood, or smallholding, and do good stuff with it
20. Write our family history (not just the tree. The stories behind the tree)
21. Raise £1m for a good cause
22. Breed some puppies
23. Read 50 classics that I’ve never read before
24. Give a TED talk
25. Have an actual romantic mini break
26. Do pilates / weight training /core strength/ yoga regularly
27. Buy a ford transit and turn it into a campervan
28. Drive through Paris in a sports car
29. Travel round Africa with the kids
30. Get the mole removed from my chin
31. Take Caitlin to see the pandas in China
32. Take Eva to volunteer with elephants (or polar bears)
33. Marathon des Sables. Oh yes.
34. Spend a week without any gadgets/ electronics/communication devices etc
35. Make 100+ people do something ridiculous, for absolutely no reason at all
36. Have some exotic sex
37. Make a film of one of our adventures (NOT the exotic sex)
38. Write a comic screenplay
39. Build an igloo
40. Ski in Scandinavia and go on a husky dog sled thingy
41. Get 50,000 followers to my blog
42. Open to suggestions!
43. Open to suggestions!
44. Open to suggestions!
45. Open to suggestions!
46. Open to suggestions!
47. Open to suggestions!
48. Open to suggestions!
49. Open to suggestions!
50. Write a book